Saturday, January 29, 2011

Garden State

I was in a mood. You know, one of those typical young adult angsty moods us 20 something years olds are known for. So, I decided to watch "Garden State". I had forgotten what a stellar movie it is. The last time I watched it was probably my freshman or sophomore year of high school, and it changed my life. The movie and the music. I actually listened to the soundtrack on the way to Seminary every morning to help keep me calm to the fact that I was awake at 5:45 in the morning when I didn't necessarily have to be. It became the soundtrack to my life. It's weird though, the movie brought me back to that place in my life, which was a huge turning point in itself, but it also appealed to me in a completely different way now. I guess when I first saw the movie, I was really searching for myself. I was 16 years old, clinically depressed, and completely lost. And now, I'm 20 years old, still clinically depressed, but dealing and managing, and pretty lost as to where I'm going with my life. I guess, this is just the quintessential "finding yourself" movie. I don't know why it seems to speak to people of my generation so strongly, but if I had to guess, I would say that the characters are just super relatable. Everyone goes through a point in their life where they don't know which direction is up, and it's just nice to know you're not alone in you quest for stability.

So, Zach Braff, thank you for making this beautiful thing. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment